Friday 28 January 2011

Rachel Lévy






(all images Rachel Lévy, her work is on show at Stephanie Hoppen Gallery, 17 Walton Street, London. SW3 2HX)



Today while browsing last weeks Sunday Times, (I know it's Friday, but sometimes life is a little topsy turvy.) I found these beautiful photographs of decaying flowers by Rachel Lévy, and I thought you might like to see them too. 

 I love flowers that are past their best, they look like fragile sculptures, especially tulips, all twisted and contorted, like they have been caught in a dance. I suppose they provoke a memory I don't want to let go of, so they sit on my mantle until the last petal falls.

So when I saw Rachel's photographs it touched a cord within. I like the faded fragility mixed with the steeped saturated colour. 

Rachel has captured a beautiful dance on cotton paper, creating a still life that will last forever.